Friday, June 8, 2007

Reflection #3

What is your learning style? Have you ever taken a learning style inventory? In your classrooms as teachers how have you or do you address the issue of learning styles? Finally discuss your experience with learners' beliefs about language, of either your students or their parents. How has it affected your teaching?

Listening and visual is more my learning style. I am able to be more successful when I observe and see the concepts better. Afterwards I am able to open up and be more tactile. I would have liked to be able to take an inventory earlier in life because I would have been able to know what my strengths and weaknesses are. In this way I would have been able to know how to strengthen my learning styles even the ones I am weak on because it is important to be able to use all styles of learning.
In the classroom I try to integrate my lessons using all learning styles. I try to break the lessons apart to have listening, visuals, tactile, oral, etc. so that the lesson is engaging for all and that they are exposed to them and learn how to use them to their benefit.
Even to this day parents are still giving English more value than their own language, which in this case is Spanish. From what I have gathered they believe that in order to be successful they must master the English language. Even some of the parents themselves are speaking
English more. I understand that it is necessary for them as well to practice the language for their own benefits but I have seen how they lose their language. Parents need to be aware of the benefits of the programs that are offered to them so that they choose the best education for their children. I think they need to be aware that the more you know the more windows of opportunities are there for you.

3 comments:

Polo Trejo said...

Hi Janette,

At the beginning of my school year, my parents were a little concern about my teaching because I had no experience and the instruction in Spanish. We will always encountered people that prefer English over their first language and that is OK. However, we must always, as Bilingual Education teachers, do our best to educate our parents. But keep in mind, que uno no le puede ganar a la ignorancia.

PoLo

Joleen J said...

Hi, Janette. Isn't it sad to see when someone gives up the opportunity to become bilingual? I wish everybody could speak another language, and I hope Spanish regains some of its "prestige" (as Erika explained) in the classroom. There are so many good reasons to support and promote bilingual education; I hope your students' families can begin to see the advantages of nurturing their first language while learning their second.

Erika said...

You are right Janette, many of our Spanish speaking parents are making a priority to learn English. It seems like they are realizing how important it is for the learning of their children and for them to be a part on it, and also to increase their opportunities in this country. I also like what you say about separating activities for different learning styles, I do the same using my learning centers. See you Mon. Erika.