Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Reflection #9

Discuss the role of emotional language in your L1 and L2. Which language is emotionally richer. As your learners acquire (participate?) in their new speech communities do you see a change in their emotional language behavior. Reflect on the notion of (re)construction of self in your own L2 or L3 learning experiences.

Emotions are fluctuating feelings that one encounters at different states. It could be from a distressed state to a depressed state to an exciting state, etc. When it comes to emotional language I perceive it as the language that comes naturally when encountering these states. I think that when strong emotions take over us we use the language that we feel attached to at that moment. Emotional language serves as a meaningful transfer of communication. Being bilingual I have expressed myself in both English and Spanish in personal ways. I find myself using both languages accordingly to the state and situation I am in. I do not think one is richer than the other since I use them equally. I even switch back and forth but this is of course with those who understand both langauges.
In my classroom, my students are younger. They are young learners who are acquiring their second langauge in different ways than an adult but still I can see the change in their emotional langauge behavior. One of the students in my class came from Mexico and didn't speak English. As he acquired the language I noticed him speaking more English than Spanish with his peers. Of course like any being, he would come across differences with his them. At this point he would be unable to express himself fully and he would go to the table and put his head down. When I would approach him to help him work through it he would start in English but ended up telling me in Spanish. In these states of anger, frustration, and hurtfullness he tried to express himself in a language that the environment called for but because he was limited to words and in his eagerness to get it all out he switched over to Spanish.
Place, time, peers, etc. play a factor in using your emotional langauge. I think that the circumstances and state that you are in will bring about the language that you feel will get your thoughts and feelings across.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Janette,
How fortunate you are to be so bilingual! It was so interesting to read how the environment sparks your usage of one language or the other.

Your students are so lucky to have a teacher as sensitive and talented as you. That was a sweet story of the little boy who gained a voice when you intervened. It is so important for us to be able to vent, in any language. I am sure that you saved him much sorrow and unhappiness.

Keep up the good work!

Carol

Joleen J said...

Hey, girl! Looking forward to hearing from yoou soon--we've gotta go have that drink!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.